The Power Of SIlence



“The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear" -Rumi

In our fast-paced modern society, we encounter a wide range of sounds each day- whether at the gym, at work, or at home. In such a sound-driven society, there is a strange discomfort with silence.
We can only truly enjoy silence when we are comfortable with ourselves.

So, What Can Silence Do For You?
When we are silent, we are focused within ourselves instead of on the outside world- momentarily, our senses are withdrawn and we are naturally introspecting.

This reflection process helps us to be attentive of our bodies, and focus on the present moment.

What Can You Do?
Physical silence (not speaking) does not translate to mental silence.

Despite being physically silent, the mind is still active and noisy. In order to quieten the mind and practice silence, some type of technique is needed.

Think of a thought that is close to your heart- such as peace, love, joy, service, God, and mentally affirm that thought. This allows you to still the restless mind.

“I have naturally formed the habit of restraining my thoughts. A thoughtless word hardly ever escaped my tongue or pen. Experience has taught me that silence is part of the spiritual discipline of a votary of truth. We find so many people impatient to talk. All this talking can hardly be said to be of any benefit to the world. It is so much waste of time. My shyness has been in reality my shield and buckler. It has allowed me to grow. It has helped me in my discernment of truth”.
Mahatma Gandhi

Comments